Misoprostol alone resource hub
Medication abortion with misoprostol alone is one of two safe, highly effective, WHO-recommended regimens for medication abortion. Our SAFE Study and other findings support a renewed look at misoprostol alone regimens for medication abortion, no longer as a second-tier method, but one that offers similar effectiveness, and often greater accessibility, than the mifepristone + misoprostol regimen.
Ibis research shows that misoprostol alone is highly effective, and more effective than previously thought.
According to data from our SAFE Study, 93.8% of those who used the mifepristone + misoprostol regimen had a complete abortion without surgical intervention, while 98.8% of those who used the misoprostol-alone regimen had a complete abortion without surgical intervention. Findings from the first study on self-managed abortion with misoprostol alone in the United States reflect this data, with 88% overall effectiveness and 97.8% effectiveness among known outcomes.
Additionally, misoprostol alone is less costly, carries fewer restrictions for use, and can be offered by a wider cadre of providers.
- Misoprostol alone medication abortion is safe and effective (compiled in partnership with the Society of Family Planning)
- Medication abortion with misoprostol-only: A sample protocol
- Studying Accompaniment model Feasibility & Effectiveness (SAFE) Study
- SAFE Study website
- Safety and effectiveness of self-managed abortion using misoprostol alone acquired from an online telemedicine service in the United States
- Dana Johnson. "A new battle in the war on abortion pills." The New York Times.
- Caitlin Gerdts, Ruvani Jayaweera, Carrie N. Baker. "Let’s talk about misoprostol—the original abortion pill." Ms. Magazine.
- Ruvani Jayaweera, Heidi Moseson, Caitlin Gerdts. "Misoprostol in the era of COVID-19: A love letter to the original medical abortion pill." Sexual and Reproductive Health Matters.
- Ijeoma Eguwatu, Ruvani Jayaweera, Ika Ayu Kristiangrum, Heidi Moseson. "The effectiveness of self-managed abortion using misoprostol alone." SRHM Podcast.